What is FDA Med Safety Mobile App
The Med Safety Mobile App is the official app approved by the Food and Drugs Authority of Ghana to enable individuals (consumers, patients or healthcare professionals) to report adverse reactions to medicines and other health-related products.
This was developed with support from the Access and Delivery Partnership (ADP), the WEB-RADR (Recognising Adverse Drug Reactions) Project and the UK Medicines and Healthcare Products Regulatory Agency (MHRA).
Essentially, this app is to allow all and sundry to report any form of harmful, unexpected side effects of health products including drugs, and vaccines as well.
How to install the Med Safety App
In order to download the FDA Med Safety App, follow the following instructions
- Go to play store (Android devices) or App Store (IOS devices) and search for “Med Safety App” or click on any of the links below depending on your type of phone
- Click on install and wait patiently for it to install
- Open the installed app
- Create an account
- Select Ghana as your region (for Ghanaians)
- To create an account you need to provide the following information
i. Choose between these two options (as a healthcare professional or as a member of the general public)
ii. Your profession (The options provided depends on what you chose for the above)
If you choose public then you have these two options to choose from
Pharmaceutical company representative
Consumer or other non-health professional
If you choose healthcare professional, you will have the following options:
- Pharmaceutical company representative
- Other healthcare Professional
iii. Your title
iv. Your first name and last name
v. Email, Organisation, Address, City and Postal code
vii. Password: Must be a minimum of 8 characters including at least a number and a capitalized letter. Avoid the use of special characters in your password.
- You can then log in with your details after creating the account
What can you report with this App?
Once you have the mobile app installed, you can report any of the following to the FDA;
- Adverse reactions of any medicine, vaccine, blood and blood products, supplements or herbal medicines, medical devices, household chemicals, and cosmetic products.
- Problems with suspected pharmaceutical defect
- Medicine ineffectiveness
- Medication errors
- Suspected counterfeit or fake medicines